The Higher Education HIV/AIDS Programme (HEAIDS) is a dedicated national facility to develop and support the HIV mitigation programmes at South Africa’s public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs).
HEAIDS is an initiative of the Department of Higher Education and Training that is undertaken by Higher Education South Africa (HESA), the representative body of South Africa’s 23 public Higher Education Institutions.
HEAIDS supports higher education institutions in responding to the pandemic through their core functions of learning and teaching, research and innovation, and community engagement.
The programme is rooted in a concept of the responsibility of HEIs to address the HIV/AIDS pandemic on a human rights basis on at least five fronts:
- Developing HIV prevention programmes for students and staff and facilities for the treatment, care and support of students and staff living with HIV.
- Providing a comprehensive workplace HIV/AIDS programme that caters to the needs of staff.
- Educating and equipping students to make a contribution to the national HIV/AIDS response in their future career fields.
- Conducting research that will strengthen society’s ability to resist and ultimately overcome the pandemic.
- Providing HIV/AIDS services to related communities through outreach projects and practical training programmes
Higher Education HIV/AIDS Programme (HEAIDS)
Unisa Sunnyside Campus
corner Rissik and Steve Biko (Mears) streets, Sunnyside, Pretoria
Tel: 012 484 1134
Fax: 012 484 1147/8