Higher Education HIV/AIDS Programme (HEAIDS)
The Higher Education and Training HIV/AIDS Programme (HEAIDS) is a national facility to develop and support the HIV mitigation programmes at South Africa’s public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and Further Education and Training colleges.
HEAIDS is an initiative of the Department of Higher Education and Training that is undertaken by Higher Education South Africa (HESA), the representative body of South Africa’s public Higher Education Institutions. HEAIDS is overseen by a Strategy Group that includes institutional and stakeholder representatives, including the FET college sector, and HIV/AIDS experts.
HEAIDS supports institutions in responding to the pandemic through their core functions of teaching and learning; research and innovation; and community engagement. Institutions are motivated and supported to address the HIV/AIDS pandemic on a human rights basis on the following fronts:
- Developing HIV prevention programmes for students and staff
- Capacitating facilities for the treatment, care and support of students and staff living with HIV.
- Providing a comprehensive workplace HIV/AIDS programme that caters to the needs of staff.
- Educating and equipping students through formal teaching and learning programmes to make a contribution to the national HIV/AIDS response in their future career fields.
- Conducting research that will strengthen society’s ability to resist and ultimately overcome the pandemic.
- Providing HIV/AIDS services to related communities through outreach projects and practical training programmes.
HEAIDS Contact Details
Unisa Sunnyside Campus
corner Rissik and Steve Biko (Mears) streets, Sunnyside, Pretoria
Tel: 012 484 1134
Fax: 012 484 1147/8